Friday, July 27, 2012

Movie Review - Riverworld

I watched a made for TV movie last night called Riverworld.  Internet Movie DataBase - Posting

This was an interesting movie, not great, but not awful.  I just realized that it was made for Syfy channel, which explains the large amount of blah that this film portrays.  There is nothing great about it, the acting is decent but not great, the special effects are decent but not great, there is nothing about this film that screams ohhhh ahhhh.

They never did a good job of explaining anything, it just was.  I'm sorry it's not mysterious if you can't understand what the frick is going on in the first place.  All I know is we had some good guys, some bad guys and some mysterious blue guys who seemed to be fighting each other for who knows what.  Like I said, if you don't explain anything why do I care about the fact that the main characters are killing each other.  Also you can never die, at least not permanently in Riverworld.  You just pop up out of the river at some random place and some random time later after you are blown to smithereens.

Just when the movie was almost over we find out that they end up almost where we started the movie.  As I keep saying in all of my movie reviews, I expect something to happen in a film that changes the characters at the end.  Even if the something is a trivial as, Hey I don't really like peanut butter and banana sandwiches.  Although as a saving grace they give you a feeling that the movie serves as a way to describe the trials and tribulations of life the universe and everything.


The best lines were written for Samuel Clemens, otherwise know as Mark Twain.  The actor delivered the lines beautifully and it was very well written.  I once watched a PBS special on Samuel Clemens and some of the things he said in his letters was extraordinarily close to his lines in this movie.

Overall the movie was worth watching for die hard Science Fiction fans, like me.  However if you just want an action movie or a drama then I would highly suggest you look elsewhere for your entertainment needs.

I rate this film three and a half smiley Mike heads.  If they could have portrayed the story a little better then I might have given it four smiley Mike heads but they failed at that so three and a half.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any useful comments right here. Non-useful comments will be deleted and I will slander your name all across the Internet.