Sunday, July 8, 2012

Movie Review - Total Recall (1990)

So having just found out that they are making an updated version of this movie to be released this year I really wanted to go and watch the original again.  This is what happened when I did, Total Recall the movie review. IMDB Post

I saw this movie when it came out, it's a darn good thing we had HBO.  I hate to date myself but yeah that was 22 years ago.  Has it really been that long?  Geez how time flies when you aren't watching it.

I remember really liking this movie as a kid, of course three breasted women tend to make an impression on a 13 year old.  I am getting way ahead of myself though, lets start sooner than that.

Total Recall follows the life of Doug Quaid an average ordinary guy with a job in a rock quarry.  One day he sees an ad on the subway for a product called Rekall, which helps you take a vacation without going anywhere.  Essentially they implant the memories of the experience in your brain so you think you really went to the destination of your choosing, plan who you will see and what you will do ahead of time.

When Doug visits Rekall his life gets turned upside down.  His coworker tries to kill him and he can't figure out why.  Things really get crazy from here on out.

This movie has some really great special effects that still stand up in today's era of computer generated effects.  There are also some really neat aspects in this movie that are pure science fiction.  However I find it humorous that in one scene Doug's wife is practicing her tennis swing against a hologram and it is letting her know if she got it correct or not.  This technology totally reminds me of Nintendo Wii or XBOX Kinect.  Funny how science fiction becomes reality in only 22 years.

Overall this movie is really great, if you were not fortunate enough to see it back in the day don't worry it still translates well to today's audience unlike other Sci-Fi movies I could mention.  I highly recommend that you check this one out prior to going to see the remake this summer.

I rate this movie five out of five smiley Mike heads.  For pure creativeness in story line and special effects. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any useful comments right here. Non-useful comments will be deleted and I will slander your name all across the Internet.